And who, pray tell, is it, you may be asking?
That’s right. Mug cakes. Chocolate cakes that can be made in under five minutes in the microwave. Completely customizable, completely homemade. I’ve been making these darlings for a while now, so it’s kind of become an art for me. I have the recipe completely memorized and I’ve tweaked it so much and made so many variations that I think I can claim it as my own.
So without further ado, I present The Mug Cake:
- 4 tbsp flour (any variation would work I’m sure; I use spelt)
- 4 tbsp sugar or honey
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp milk (regular, coconut, rice, soy, or almond will all work)
- 1 egg (or if you don’t have any, a couple tbsps of cornstarch and another 2 tbsp of liquid will suffice just fine!)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- Shake or two of salt
- Sliver of butter
- Splash of vanilla extract (or peppermint, orange, lemon, or any other if you want to experiment)
1. Combine all ingredients in a very large mug.
2. Stir VERY well using a narrow rubber spatula.
3. Microwave for ~2:30 minutes
4. Using an oven mitt, remove.
5. Enjoy the scrumptions!
Peppermint: replace the cocoa powder with peppermint cocoa mix. Cut down the sugar by about 1 or 2 tbsps. Replace vanilla extract with peppermint extract. Garnish with crushed peppermints.
Peanut Butter: replace the butter with as much peanut butter as you want. Delicious!
Oreo: add some mashed oreos to the batter.
Butterscotch: add butterscotch chips to the batter. really creative, right? 🙂
White Chocolate: add white chocolate chips to the batter.
Coffee: I’ve been trying to make a good mocha mug cake. So far they’ve all been too strong for me. But others have loved a splash of espresso grounds in theirs.
They are so many possibilities! Try them out and share your creations with me!
Oh, and a shout out to Carrie for being my mug cake wingman and helping me master the art 🙂
Listening to: so much good music! Crushin’ on Andrew Bird and his Heretics, loving Lana del Rey’s Video Games, obsessing over Florence and the Machine’s Howl and Cosmic Love, and once more, Andrew Bird in French
Reading: This is All, the Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn
Learning: just continuing to work on my Spanish!